Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is Acupuncture?
A: The word acupuncture is derived from two Latin words, acus, meaning “needle,” and punctura, meaning “puncturing.” Therefore, acupuncture is the procedure of puncturing with needle to produce a desired therapeutic effect. In practice, acupuncture may also includes heat therapy (moxibustion) ,electrical stimulation and other stimulation like acupressure, Cupping, Guasha and Tuina. (Please refer to Services Section for further info!)
Q: How does acupuncture work?
A: Acupuncture is based on Oriental Medicinal theory of Meridians(also called Channels) & Organs. There are Meridians in the body that form a web which crisscrosses the body vertically and horizontally which join the internal organs with the skin, flesh, ligaments, bones and all other tissues. Acupuncture points are specific spots on the body where an acupuncture needle may be inserted to control the meridian and organ function to resolve imbalance of the body that may cause disease.
Q: What problems can be treated by acupuncture?
A: World Health Organization(WHO: 2003) reported that acupuncture has been proved to be an effective treatment for following diseases, symptoms or conditions by clinical trials:
- Aches and Pain: Billary colic ,Facial pain (including craniomandibular disorders), Headache, Knee pain, Lowers back pain, Neck pain, Pain in dentistry (including dental pain and TMJ dysfunction), Periarthritis of shoulder (Frozen shoulder), Postoperative pain, Renal colic, Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), Sciatica, Sprain, Tennis Elbow
- Boost Immune System : Allergic rhinitis (including hay fever), Leucopenia (a decreased total number of white blood cells in the circulating blood)
- Chronic Conditions : Essential Hypertension, primary Hypotension,
- Digestive Problems : acute bacillary Dysentery, acute Epigastralgia (in peptic ulcer, acute and chronic gastritis, and gastrospasm), Nausea and vomiting
- Female Disorders : primary Dysmenorrhoea, Induction of labour, correction of Malposition of fetus, Morning sickness
- Immune Deficient Conditions: Adverse reactions to radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy
- Mental Conditions : Depression (including depressive neurosis and depression following stroke)
- Paralysis : Stroke
WHO(2003) also reported that the therapeutic effect of acupuncture has been shown but further proof is needed for following diseases, symptoms or conditions:
- Addictions : Alcohol dependence and detoxification, Opium, cocaine and heroin dependence, Tobacco dependence
- Aches and Pain : Abdominal pain (in acute gastroenteritis or due to gastrointestinal spasm), Cancer pain, chronic with acute exacerbation of Cholecystitis, ,Earache, Fibromyalgia and fasciitis, Eye pain due to subconjuctival injection, Gouty arthritis, Labour pain , Osteoarthritis(OA), Pain due to endoscopic examination, Pain in thromboangiitis obliterans Radicular and pseudoradicular pain syndrome, Reflex sympathetic dystrophy ,Sore throat (including tonsillitis), acute Spine pain, Stiff neck
- Chronic Conditions : Bronchial asthma, Cardiac neurosis, non-insulin-dependent Diabetes mellitus, Meniere disease
- Female Disorders : Female infertility, Female urethral syndrome, Hypo-ovarianism, Lactation, deficiency, Polycystic ovary syndrome, Premenstrual syndrome
- Male Disorders : non-organic Male sexual dysfunction, chronic Prostatitis
- Paralysis : Bell’s palsy
- Skin Condition : Acne vulgaris
- Stress Management / Sleep disorders : Competition stress syndrome, Insomnia, TMJ dysfunction
- Other Conditions / Disease: Cholelithias, closed Craniocerebral injury, Epidemic haemorrhagic fever, Epistaxis, simple (without generalized or local disease), Facial spasm, Gastrokinetic disturbance, Hepatitis b virus carrier status, Herpes zoster (human (alpha) herpesvirus 3), Hyperlipaemia, Neuralgia, post-herpetic, Neurodermatitis, Obesity, Postextubation in children, Postoperative convalescence, Pruritus, Raynaud syndrome, primary, Recurrent lower urinary-tract infection, traumatic? Retention of urine, Schizophrenia, Sialism, drug-induced, Sjogren syndrome, Tietze syndrome, Tourette syndrome, Ulcerative colitis, chronic, Urolithiasis, Vascular dementia Whooping cough (pertussis)
Q: Does acupuncture hurt?
A: No. Acupuncture is virtually pain free procedure. However, maximum therapeutic result may require mild discomfort. The patient can decide what level of therapy they like to take from painless, slight pinching or slightly aching.
Q: Are the needles clean?
A: Only disposable needles are used in our clinic. For the safety of the patients, all sterilized needles are used only once & disposed.
Q: Can children take acupuncture?
A: Yes, children and their parents can enjoy the benefit of acupuncture and herbal medicine in many conditions. Some of the suitable condition includes; allergies, asthma, common cold, constipation, diarrhea, epilepsy, indigestion, poor appetite, sore throat, etc…